There are many reasons for cutting ones hair short; relationship break-up, birth of a new baby, to get rid of hair damaged by excessive dying and styling or an intense need to make a change. Whatever your reason going from long hair to a short hairstyle is something that requires a lot of thought and consideration. So here are a few things to consider before taking the plunge.
Does Short Hair Suit Everybody?
Oval Face Shape:
Basically anything suits this face shape, even a shaved head will look beautiful. Think of Natalie Portman.
Rectangular Face Shape:
Short hair with fullness at the sides of the face instead of the crown of the head will balance a long and slender face .
Round Face Shape:
Add volume to the crown of the head to make the face appear longer, keep sides of the hair shorter.
Square Face Shape:
Upkeep of Short Hairstyles
Many think that having a short hairstyle is easier to maintain than long hair. This is not true. With long hair if you are having a bad hair day you can tie it up in a ponytail and be done with it. Short hair requires styling and more regular visits to the salon to keep it looking stylish.
Basic Tips For Looking After Short Hair
- Try to limit the use of heated styling appliances such as the flat iron and hair dryer as they cause stress and damage to the hair giving it an opaque appearance and creating split ends.
- Do not apply hair products to the roots, keep it to the tips to avoid greasy and oily looking hair, after all you don’t want to look like a pirate! Stay away from silicone based products.
- Wash your hair with more frequency as the natural oils will cover your hair making it look oily.
- Protect your hair from the sun using the same sunscreen you use on your body.
- Avoid chlorinated pools as much as possible, especially the first few days after dying your hair.